One point for documented exploration:
I visited the following sites: Tap into the World of Comics, Wikispaces, Go!Animate, Garfield, and Museum Box. I really enjoyed the cartoon related sites. I think that Go! Animate is a good one and hopefully I can assign a student a key term and have them create a cartoon about the term. The site allows the work to be embedded into a blog and that is just another way of using online writing but with a creative twist to eliminate dull assignments. Tap into the World of Comics offers an opportunity to use decision-making and problem-solving strategies in a unique way. I can't say that I would use this particular one often but I will keep it in my bag of tricks for the future. Museum Box is clever and I really liked the site. I appreciated your friend Marilyn's gallery and saw lots of animal and science examples but I could foresee it as a potential way to adapt it for psychology.
One point for creating something with a tool that you think might be useful in your classroom:
I created this cartoon to become part of my class syllabus. It is eye-catching way to get some important information to a student in a "sugar-coated" manner.
One point for your blog entry telling how you might use online writing or why you think it will not be useful to you:
Who would think that a cartoon would count as online writing?
As you can see from my cartoon featured above I think I can find several quick ways to put cartoons to use in class. I frequently use humor as a teaching method and now I can visually create my point. I plan to explore further the Museum Box. I found this to be a very clever and unique way to present information and I see possibilities to use this activity to replace a written report, to present research information, and take factual concepts beyond the ordinary presentation format.
My class used a blog for psychology last year. It was designed to get students to read, analyze, and report on scientific journal articles from the American Psychological Association. I plan to expand this blog further and get students to post related video information that they find from other sources on the blog. Even if the information is visual, I will have them blog about that post and that creates an online writing assignment. Many thanks for the blogging rubric. I am always looking to improve the one I created and I added it as a Diigo bookmark.
I looked at the Wikispaces and may try to use it as a collaborative and/or summative class project perhaps as an end of year activity. Another potential use of a Wiki would be a student portfolio of work from a semester or even for the year. I attended Susan Alexander's Wikispaces seminar in June and she peaked my interest in testing it out in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment