Wednesday, June 23, 2010

TASK 1 EXPLORING 2010

1.What are three important things you found out about the brain and the learners we are teaching? How do you think Web 2.0 fits in?
I am so lucky to teach all about the brain in AP Psychology and after reading The enGauge 21st Century Skills article....I learned so much more.  If I had to choose three things that I found important I think the following spoke to me.
  • Every brain is wired differently....I think I knew this before but experienced it first hand during the past year in class.  I had to find ways to introduce information to more kinesthetic learners that I have ever had before.  It was a creative challenge!  I am the visual and auditory learner and tend to teach that way so to think about a topic differently was one of my greatest challenges.  Can't say that I was totally successful but I am more sensitive in my approach these days.
  • Daniel Pink's A Whole New Brain  was inspiring to read.  He simplified some concepts that we as teachers and educators (of a certain age) don't even consider in our lesson plans. 
    • Simply, our world is linear and our students are not. 
    • We teach and favor left-brain concepts and often skip over the right-brain contributions. 
    • In order to survive in the 21st century we need to become whole brain thinkers and include analysis, problem-solving skills, big picture thinking and creatiivity in the lesson plans for tomorrow.
  • The discussion of digital bombardment was eye-opening!  As a digital immigrant I tend to be sequential in thought and planning.  However, my student's experience is parallel and simutaneous each day.  How can I use that experience in my lessons? This past spring in class, the topic was anti-social personality disorder and the topic of serial killers came up.  The class tuned me out and began online searching via laptops and internet on cell phones for people and events related to this.  It was a seamless event that flowed from my room into quick information beyond the text available online.  The original lesson direction was limited but by the end of their research we had new information that was meaningful and will be remembered longer than my words. 
2.What are some 21st Century skills that are relevant to your teaching? Which ones do you think are most important to equip your students for tomorrow using today's tools?
I discovered that as an effective 21st Century citizen (to include access to abundant information and rapid changes in tools) some older concepts were emphasized that I feel are complimentary to some of the newer skills.  The skills that I think are both relevant to my teaching and to equip students for tomorrow are:
  • Thinking creatively- there is not just one way to do it
  • Critical thinking and problem-solving- this is more important that just knowing the facts
  • Communication and collaboration- so important in a global community of tomorrow
  • Technology skills to collaborate collectively but to include individual contributions too
  • Being flexible and adaptable- this is part of the problem-solving process
  • Accountability to set goals, prioritize, plan and manager- this facilitates communication needs
  • Leadership and responsibility to others - a much needed and  worthy skill
3.Spend some time exploring educational bloggers. Find at least three to add as a blog roll gadget on your blog.  Found three cool sites and added them to the list.  Master the Web One Site at a Time; Speaking of History: and Remember Anything (do I ever need this one)

No comments:

Post a Comment